Can Green Card Holders File a Personal Injury Claim for DWI?

A personal injury claim resulting from a drunk driving accident can be complicated. It is important to understand your rights as an individual and the laws that apply in such cases. For green card holders, the situation can be even more complex. This blog post will provide information about whether a green card holder can file a personal injury claim for a DWI-related accident.

DWI-Related Personal Injury Claims for Green Card Holders

The first thing to consider when determining if someone is eligible to file a personal injury claim following a DWI-related accident is their legal status. If someone holds a green card they are considered a permanent resident of the United States, so this should not be an issue.

However, there are additional questions that must be answered before filing a personal injury claim related to a DWI accident, specifically if the green card holder has been convicted of DUI or DWI in the past. A criminal conviction may have an impact on the ability of the claimant to receive compensation for their injuries and any other losses associated with the accident.  In addition, it’s important to note that certain states have different laws regarding DUI/DWI convictions and compensation for personal injuries related to these types of accidents.

 It is also important to keep in mind that there are certain factors that will influence how much compensation you may be entitled to if you are able to file your claim successfully. These include things like pain and suffering, medical bills, lost wages due to missed work, and more. It’s also important to note that if someone else was at fault in the accident (e.g., another driver), their insurance company may be liable for some or all of these costs as well.  Therefore it’s important to speak with an experienced lawyer who specializes in DWI-related claims before filing any type of lawsuit related to this type of incident.

Consult a Phoenix Immigration Lawyer for professional legal guidance and representation if you are in a difficult situation. Depending on your role in the case, you may also require a specialized attorney, such as a Fort Lauderdale Personal Injury Lawyer for settlement assistance or a Minneapolis DWI Lawyer for defense support.


In conclusion, it is possible for someone who holds a green card in the United States to file a personal injury claim for damages stemming from an incident involving alcohol or drugs behind the wheel; however, it is important for potential claimants to understand their rights and limitations under state law before moving forward with such claims. Furthermore, it is always recommended that claimants consult with an experienced lawyer who specializes in car accidents involving alcohol or drugs prior to initiating any legal action related thereto so they understand all applicable laws and regulations regarding compensation they may be entitled to due to their injuries as well as any other losses associated with these types of incidents.

Comments are closed.